Bachelor of Management Studies


Conjoint degrees are taken simultaneously. When you take a conjoint degree the requirements allow you to complete the two components in a shorter period of time than would ordinarily be possible. All of our Undergraduate Degrees are also available as a conjoint degree with most other University of Waikato undergraduate degrees.

Conjoint degrees are just one possibility and if you are thinking of this option then we strongly advise you to seek academic advice about these programmes. Other options such as double majors, graduate and postgraduate diplomas, or masters programmes are also worth considering. Not all conjoint combinations may be available every year.

Please contact the relevant School/Faculty to discuss the requirements of its component of the conjoint degree.

Conjoint Degree Requirements

You must:

  • Meet the admission requirements for each of the component degrees

  • Enrol in at least one paper for each of the component degrees each year, unless one component has been completed

  • Count each paper towards only one component degree.

Additional requirements can be found in the University of Waikato Calendar or online at

To complete the BMS or BMS(Hons) component of a conjoint degree, you must:

  • Pass all the compulsory papers for the BMS or BMS(Hons) degree (see notes below)

  • Complete the requirements for a first major as stated in the BMS or BMS(Hons) major requirements

  • Pass a Computer Competency Module (CCM) usually undertaken in the first year of study

  • Pass a Writing Competency Module (WCM) (see notes below)

  • Take an Employment Skills Module (ESM)

  • Submit a Portfolio of Achievement for the BMS(Hons)

  • Pass a minimum of 360 points.

The 360 points requirement must include at least:

  • 270 points at 200 level or above

  • 150 points at 300 level or above

  • Either 60 points at 400 level for the BMS or 90 points at 500 level for the BMS(Hons).

Honours students must achieve at least Second Class (second division) Honours to obtain the BMS(Hons). Students who do not achieve Second Class (second division) Honours may be awarded the BMS instead.

Note(s): If you are taking an Accounting major then you can swap HRMG241 with ACCT231 though you may not also count it towards your Accounting major. However, you are strongly encouraged to complete HRMG241 as one of your elective papers.

If you do not pass the WCM in your first year of study, then you will be required to take a writing paper, this may require additional points to be taken for your programme.


BMS Conjoint Planner

BMS(Hons) Conjoint Planner

BMS/LLB as a Conjoint Degree

If you wish to take the BMS/LLB conjoint then the core paper MNGT221 requirement is met by passing LAWS204 and is therefore replaced by an additional elective paper at 200 level or above.

Information for year: 


Apply Now! Prospectus